Koh Lanta is a great place to get away from the party spots for a while and relax in a quiet place. After a few days in Bangkok, it won’t hurt to spend some time on its beaches before going back to the adventure. It is on the east coast of Thailand, southwest of Bangkok, about 700 kilometres away as the crow flies. We explain below that you can get there in a few different ways.
How to get from Bangkok to Koh Lanta?
There is a long way between Koh Lanta and Bangkok. We’ve already said that it’s about 700 kilometres in a straight line, but the trip by road is even longer. That’s why flying is the best way to get there, even though it’s not easy because none of Koh Lanta’s islands have their own airport.
The bus is the most popular way to get from Bangkok to Koh Lanta because it’s cheap, and you can buy tickets that will get you there and back. Read on to find out more about all the choices.
Transportation from Bangkok to Koh Lanta:
- Plane – It’s the quickest way, but it’s also the most expensive and takes the longest.
- Bus – It’s the most affordable way to get from Bangkok to Koh Lanta.
How to go to Koh Lanta by plane
As was already said, this is the best way to get to Koh Lanta because it’s far from Bangkok. However, it’s not the easiest way because Koh Lanta doesn’t have its own airport. You will have to take a plane to get to Krabi, where you will have two choices. One option is to take a speedboat, which will require you to take a minivan from the Krabi airport to the coast. You can also take a private minivan to get from the airport to your final destination.
- Distance: In a straight line, it is 650 km from Bangkok to Krabi. From Krabi to Koh Lanta, there are about 50 km.
- Duration: It takes 1 hour and 30 minutes to get to Krabi by plane. By speedboat, it takes between an hour and an hour and a half to get from Krabi to Koh Lanta. It takes between 2.5 and 3 hours to get from Krabi to Koh Lanta by private minivan.
- Price: The flight from Bangkok to Krabi costs between 1,700 and 2,500 baht. The minivan from Krabi to Koh Lanta costs between 2,000 and 2,500 baht.
- Departure area: Suvarnabhumi International Airport or Bangkok Don Muang Airport.
How to go to Koh Lanta by bus
Even though the trip will take a long time, this can be a good option if you are on a tight budget. You can take a night trip to sleep, so you won’t waste time, and you won’t have to pay for a hotel room. From Bangkok’s Morchit Bus Terminal, you can take a Transport Co. Intl. bus to Hua Hin Pier. From here, Koh Lanta Noi is a short boat ride away (the little island).
- Distance: More than 800 kilometers by road.
- Duration: 18 hours and 30 minutes for the total trip approximately.
- Price: A combined ticket that includes the bus and ferry, around 1,200 baht.
- Departure area: Morchit Bus Terminal in Bangkok.