After time spent in the bustling capital of Thailand, Bangkok, Koh Samui is the perfect island to visit in order to relax and unwind. It is home to a plethora of resorts, hotspots for nightlife, and paradisiacal beaches, all of which provide enough opportunities for relaxation, sunbathing, and participation in a variety of water sports. It also has a picture-perfect scenery, with a hilly rainforest right in the middle of it. In this essay, we will explain the many transportation options available to go to this island from Bangkok.
How to go from Bangkok to Koh Samui?
You may select from a few different methods to go to Koh Samui while departing from Bangkok. Because there is an airport on the island, you may fly directly to the destination. Combinations of a train ride, a bus ride, and a boat ride are some more possibilities. The following will offer you information on each of these choices, allowing you to select the alternative that caters to your needs in terms of both money and time.
Transportation to go from Bangkok to Koh Samui:
- Plane – It is the most direct and fastest way to get there, but it also costs the most.
- Bus + Ferry – It consists of taking a bus to Chumphon and a ferry to Koh Samui.
- Train + Ferry – You can go by train to Surat Thani, and from there, take the ferry to Koh Samui.
How to go to Koh Samui by plane
The airport on Koh Samui is in the northeast part of the island. There aren’t that many airlines to choose from. Thai Airways flies twice a day, and Bangkok Airways almost every hour. Because of this, flights to this place are very expensive, but they can change a lot depending on when you buy your ticket. Booking as early as possible is always a good idea.
- Distance: More than 700 kilometers.
- Duration: A little more than 1 hour.
- Price: 4000 – 4500 baht.
- Departure area: Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok.
How to go to Koh Samui by bus + ferry
If you choose this option, you will take a bus from Bangkok to Chumphon, and then from there you will board a high-speed catamaran that will transport you from Koh Nang Yuan to Koh Tao to Koh Phangan. If you follow this route, you will be able to view many islands along the way, which makes it a highly picturesque option; but, it will take you a considerable amount of time.
- Distance: 466 kilometers by road 4 and approximately 140 kilometers by sea.
- Duration: The whole tour takes about 11 hours, and you’ll spend about half of that time on the boat.
- Price: 750 – 1500 baht.
- Departure area: Bangkok Bus Terminal.
How to go to Koh Samui by train + ferry
The most annoying thing about taking the train and ferry is that it takes a long time. So, if you choose this option, we suggest that you take a night train so that you can sleep and save a night’s stay in a hotel. To get to Surat Thani, you will need to take a train. When you get to the city’s train station, you’ll take a special bus to the coast and the Don Sak pier. There, you can take a regular ferry if you want to take your time and enjoy the trip, or you can take a high-speed catamaran if you want to get there faster.
There are tickets for the whole trip that covers everything. We recommend that you book them ahead of time because the train is a very popular way to get around because it is cheap.
- Distance: From Bangkok to Surat Thani, just over 500 kilometres. Less than 40 km separate Surat Thani and Koh Samui.
- Duration: By regular ferry, it takes 90 minutes, but by high-speed catamaran, it only takes 45 minutes.
- Price: Around 1400 baht.
- Departure area: Bangkok Hua Lamphong Train Station.
- My Caffeinated Journey: The Top 8 Best Coffee Shops in Bangkok - September 11, 2023
- My Encounter with Thailand’s Black and White Striped Snakes - September 2, 2023
- The Koh Samui Island Tour - July 24, 2023