Koh Chang is the second biggest island in Thailand (after Phuket), and it is located at the easternmost tip of the Gulf of Thailand. It is about 270 kilometres to the southeast of Bangkok if you are travelling by the most direct route. After spending a few days walking on the asphalt in Bangkok, the sight of its azure seas and white beaches will make you feel as though you have arrived in heaven. In addition to this, there are several luxuriant kinds of wood and quaint little villages that will instill in you a wonderful sense of peace and quiet.
If you decide to go to this location from Bangkok, the following article will provide you with all the information you need to choose which mode of transportation is most suitable for you, given the specifics of your trip.
How to get from Bangkok to Koh Chang?
Because Koh Chang has a different airport, the only way to reach there is by taking a boat from the mainland. You can choose to drive, fly, or take a bus to travel to the ferry terminal from Bangkok. These are the many transportation alternatives available to you. The following will give you further information on each available choice.
Transportation from Bangkok to Koh Chang:
- Car – This is your best choice if you want to be on your own and like to drive on the road.
- Plane – It is the most expensive option but also the fastest.
- Public bus – This is the cheapest option but also the slowest.
How to go to Koh Chang by car
If you are a person who enjoys driving and the road journey is brief, then hiring a car to get closer to the ferry port that will take you to Koh Chang on your own may be an alternative worth considering. By travelling in this manner, you will be able to enjoy the flexibility of stopping whenever you choose to snap photographs, dine, or explore new and interesting sites. The price will differ depending on the kind of vehicle that you rent. You will need to have a vehicle to get to Trat so that you can get a boat to Koh Chang from there.
- Distance: Trat is about 350 kilometres away along Highway 3. From Trat to Koh Chang, it’s less than 10 km.
- Duration: Around 6 hours to Trat and 40 minutes on the ferry to Koh Chang.
- Price: Not determined.
- Starting zone: Not determined.
Read More: How to get from Bangkok to Koh Phangan
How to go to Koh Chang by plane
As was just said, there is no airport on the island itself; nevertheless, you may depart from Bangkok on a flight that will take you to Trat, which is located on the mainland. Bangkok Airways is the only company worldwide that operates flights along this route. It provides flights in the morning, late in the morning, and in the afternoon each day. There are a few different ways that you might make your way from the Trat Airport to Koh Chang once you have landed at the airport in Trat. You can use a shared minibus, the price of which already accounts for the cost of the ferry ticket. You also have the option of arranging a private transfer, which might be a more cost-effective option if you are going with a large party.
- Distance: About 260 kilometers from Bangkok to Trat. Less than 10 kilometers from Trat to Koh Chang.
- Duration: The flight is an hour long. Then, it takes half an hour to get from the airport to the ferry terminal, and the ferry ride to Koh Chang takes about 40 minutes.
- Price: About 3,200 bahts for the flight, and 500 bahts for the combined minibus + ferry ticket option.
- Departure area: Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport.
Read More: How to go from Bangkok to Krabi
How to go to Koh Chang by public bus or minibus
Both of these choices provide the benefit of being the least expensive way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Chang; however, they are also often the method that takes the longest to get at the destination, so you will have to make sacrifices in terms of both comfort and speed. The cost of using a public bus, which also includes the cost of the ferry ticket, is approximately half that of taking a shared minibus. The shared minibus may have a higher price tag, but it is unquestionably the more convenient option, given that it will pick you up from your hotel and deliver you directly to your destination.
- Distance: Trat is about 350 kilometres away. From Trat to Koh Chang, it’s less than 10 km.
- Duration: 6 – 8 hours to Trat and 40 minutes on the ferry to Koh Chang.
- Price: 300 – 600 baht.
- Departure area: If you are in the area, you can leave from Khao San Road or take a bus from one of the bus stations or the Victory Monument.