The Phi Phi islands have been a famous tourist destination in Thailand, particularly after the release of the film “The Beach,” starring Leonardo Di Caprio, which takes place on one of its beaches. It is a wonderful decision to spend a few calm days on the beach after the urban and frantic rhythm of Bangkok, and to get to know the southwestern part of the nation, which is where these islands are located. This is because Bangkok is located in the centre of the country.
How to get from Bangkok to Phi Phi?
Since Phi Phi does not have its own airport, the final step of your journey will inevitably consist of taking a boat in order to arrive at your destination. There are primarily two ports from which ferries depart for the Phi Phi Islands, and those are Krabi and Phuket. As a result, you will need to decide which of these two stopovers you would choose to use. If you do not have a preference regarding which region to visit, the road that goes through Krabi has a few kilometres less by land, so it is recommended if you go by road. However, if you do have a preference regarding which region to visit, the option that you choose will depend on your interests and your travel itinerary.
Transport to go from Bangkok to Phi Phi:
- Bus + Ferry – The cheapest option but also the one that will take you the longest.
- Plane + Ferry – The most recommended and fastest option.
How to go to Phi Phi by bus + ferry
If you want to take a bus somewhere, you can do one of two things. One option is to take a bus to Krabi and then a boat from the Or-Bor-Jor pier to Phi Phi. The second choice is to take a bus to Phuket and then a ferry from Rassada Pier. Even though the bus ride is a long one, you won’t have to worry about driving and can enjoy the view.
- Distance: There are about 770 km between Bangkok and Krabi. On the other hand, it’s about 840 km from Bangkok to Phuket. From either place, Phi Phi is about 46 kilometres away by boat.
- Duration: About 12 hours to get from Bangkok to Krabi. On the other hand, it takes between 13 and 16 hours to get from Bangkok to Phuket. A ferry ride from either place will take about 2 hours.
- Price: By bus between 600 and 1000 bahts. The ferry around 500 baht.
- Departure area: Bangkok South Bus Terminal.
Read More: How to get from Bangkok to Chiang Rai
How to go to Phi Phi by plane + ferry
You can choose to stop in Krabi or Phuket before taking the ferry to the Phi Phi Islands, just like you can with the bus. The prices are higher than for the bus, but there are so many flights that you may find some that are very appealing, especially if you leave from Don Mueang airport, which usually has cheap options. If your budget allows it or you find a good deal, this is the best choice because you will save a lot of time travelling.
- Distance: From Bangkok to Krabi it is about 650 kilometers in a straight line. On the other hand, from Bangkok to Phuket, around 670 kilometers in a straight line. From both locations it is approximately 46 kilometers by sea to Phi Phi.
- Duration: From Bangkok, both to Krabi and Phuket, you will have about 1 hour and a half by plane. From both places, you will have around 2 hours of journey by ferry.
- Price: 1700 – 2500 baths, although you can get cheaper, especially if you depart from Don Mueang airport. The ferry around 500 baht.
- Departure area: Suvarnabhumi International Airport or Bangkok Don Muang Airport.