While Koh Samui is one of the largest islands in the country and is found in the Gulf of Thailand, the Phi Phi islands are a small archipelago made up of four islands that are located in the Andaman Sea. Visiting the Phi Phi islands after Koh Samui is ideal for getting to know two completely different types of islands, since Koh Samui is one of the largest islands in the country and is located in the Gulf of Thailand. But there is one thing that they both have in common, and that is the fact that both of them are magnificent islands where you can spend lovely days surrounded by towering palm trees and waters that are completely clean.
In this post, we will provide you with all the information you must know on how to get from Koh Samui to Phi Phi.
How to get from Koh Samui to Phi Phi?
It is necessary to purchase a package deal in order to get to the Phi Phi Islands from Koh Samui because the distance between the two locations, including both the ocean and the mainland, is around 230 kilometres. As a result of the route’s popularity among tourists, there are a large number and variety of different modes of transportation. We will go through the specifics of each of them below so that you may pick the one that meets your needs regarding your schedule, goals, and finances.
Read More: How to get from Koh Samui to Bangkok
Transport to go from Koh Samui to Phi Phi:
- Plane + ferry – It is the fastest and most expensive option.
- Ferry + bus + ferry- This is the cheapest option.
How to go to Phi Phi by plane + ferry
This mode of transportation will get you to your destination quicker than any other mode of transportation, but it will also cause a rise in the total cost of your trip. Because the Phi Phi Islands do not have their own airport, you will first need to fly to Krabi International Airport, where you will connect with a boat for the final leg of your journey to the Phi Phi Islands. This will be necessary because the Phi Phi Islands need their own airport.
Keeping in mind that it will take additional time to go from the airport to the ferry dock, we strongly advise that you plan your ferry voyage to depart from Krabi at least two hours after the time that you are scheduled to arrive in the city. You can do this by employing the services of a taxi or minivan service.
- Distance: From Koh Samui to Krabi in a straight line is just under 200 kilometres, and from Krabi to the Phi Phi Islands is just over 30 kilometres by sea.
- Duration: If you fly straight from Koh Samui to Krabi, it will take about an hour. If you stop in Bangkok, it will take longer, and the ferry ride will take between 90 and 105 minutes.
- Price: About 4,200 bahts for the flight and 450 bahts for the ferry.
- Departure area: Koh Samui Airport (USM).
Read More: How to get from Koh Phangan to Phuket
How to go to Phi Phi by ferry + bus + ferry
When considering cost, travel time, and convenience, the combination of taking the bus and the boat is the best option for getting from Koh Samui to Koh Phi Phi. In addition, it is possible to purchase combination tickets, which will save you from the need to worry about making any transfers. The journey will involve taking a boat from Koh Samui to the mainland (perhaps Donsak in Surat Thani), then boarding a bus that travels across the mainland from east to west to Krabi, and then getting back on a ferry for the final part of the journey from the sea journey to the ultimate location.
- Distance: First, Koh Samui is about 30 km away from the mainland by sea. Then it was about 200 kilometres by land to Krabi town on the mainland. The Phi Phi Islands are just over 30 kilometres away by the sea.
- Duration: From Koh Samui to Donsak, it takes about 2.5 hours by boat. From Donsak to Krabi, it takes about 3 hours by bus, and from Krabi to Phi Phi, it takes another 2 hours by ferry. This route can take a little more than 7 hours, but it can be shorter if you take a high-speed ferry, which will save you a bit more time.
- Price: 750 – 1100 baht.
- Departure area: Nathon Port of Koh Samui.
- My Caffeinated Journey: The Top 8 Best Coffee Shops in Bangkok - September 11, 2023
- My Encounter with Thailand’s Black and White Striped Snakes - September 2, 2023
- The Koh Samui Island Tour - July 24, 2023