The island of Koh Phangan is one of Thailand’s best places for backpackers. It is about 450 kilometers south of Bangkok and near the western coast of the Gulf of Thailand. This is where the famous Full Moon Party takes place. On this picture-perfect island, in addition to the stunning beaches, visitors will discover a plethora of other activities and attractions to enjoy. A well-liked destination for vacationers seeking some time away from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. What is the best way to get there from the main city? In this article, we explain everything to you.
How to get from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?
While the island of Koh Phangan does not have its own airport, the island of Koh Samui, which is located nearby, does. You can arrive at this point via airplane and then continue on to your destination via boat. The bus and the train are two other less expensive modes of transportation, but, due to the fact that Koh Phangan is an island, the final portion of the journey must always be taken by boat. In the following, you will find all of the relevant information.
Transportation to go from Bangkok to Koh Phangan:
- Plane + Ferry – It is the fastest way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan.
- Bus + Ferry – A cheaper option, although it will take more time.
- Train + Ferry – It is the least convenient option because you will have to change trains many times and it will take a long time.
How to go to Koh Phangan by plane + ferry
Due to the fact that Koh Phangan does not have its own airport, you will first need to travel to Koh Samui before continuing on to Koh Phangan via boat. Despite this, the overall trip time is substantially less than that of any other mode of transport departing from Bangkok, even though the cost is significantly more. It can be worth it if you just have a short amount of time on your vacation. If, on the other hand, you have a lot of time on your hands and you don’t mind sacrificing some of it to travel time, you should consider selecting a different alternative.
- Distance: Almost 480 kilometers from Bangkok to Koh Samui. From this to Koh Phangan are less than 25 kilometers.
- Duration: 1 hour – 1 hour and 30 minutes on the plane. 30 minutes on the fast ferries.
- Price: The flight costs between 1,200 and 6,000 bahts, depending on the airline you choose and the airport you leave from.
- Departure area: Bangkok Don Mueang Airport or Suvarnabhumi International Airport. Once you get to Koh Samui, you can take a ferry to Koh Phangan from Big Buddha Harbor, which is close by.
How to go to Koh Phangan by bus + ferry
If you want to save money on aircraft tickets, the most cost-effective option is to go by bus and ferry with one of two independent firms, Lomprayah or Seatran. You may purchase a combination ticket that covers your whole journey from Bangkok to Koh Phangan, leaving you with very little to worry about. Both of these choices are excellent since you have the option to do so. In addition to having reasonably priced tickets and dependable service, passengers will find that both the buses and ferries they use are quite pleasant, well-maintained, and spotless. The overall travel duration is the sole disadvantage, but if you choose to take a night bus, you will be able to sleep during the trip.
- Distance: Depending on the company you choose, you will take different routes.
- Duration: Depending on which bus and ferry you take, the whole trip from Bangkok will take between 10 and 14 hours because it is a long trip, and the ferry takes about 1.5 hours.
- Price: 900 – 1400 baht.
- Departure area: It depends on which company you choose to make the trip, they leave from different parts of the city.
How to go to Koh Phangan by train + ferry
Rail travel is, like bus travel between Bangkok and Koh Phangan, a far more cost-effective mode of transportation than flying, even though train travel takes significantly longer. To get to Koh Phangan, in addition to taking the train, you will need to take a bus from the train station to the ferry dock, and after that, you will need to board the boat. You have the option of purchasing separate tickets for each stage of this journey; however, it is also possible to purchase combined tickets, which are certainly the simpler option given that you will not need to worry about coordinating the times for each stage to ensure that you do not miss any mode of transportation. You will arrive in Surat Thani via rail, and from there you will need to take a bus and a boat to go to Koh Phangan.
- Distance: Approximately 650 kilometers by train.
- Duration: About 8 hours by train.
- Price: Around 1700 baht for a full combined trip.
- Departure area: Bangkok Hua Lamphong Train Station.
- My Caffeinated Journey: The Top 8 Best Coffee Shops in Bangkok - September 11, 2023
- My Encounter with Thailand’s Black and White Striped Snakes - September 2, 2023
- The Koh Samui Island Tour - July 24, 2023