One of the most well-known and well-loved Thai foods served across the world is fried rice prepared in Thai fashion. And it is not at a lower price because it is of such high quality. Actually, it is a meal that may be prepared in many different ways. Despite the fact that the foundation is traditionally a decent rice, most ideally of the jasmine kind, the traditional fish sauce, and the utilisation of a wok in the preparation, First and foremost, if you prefer food from various countries, particularly Asian cuisine, Thai fried rice is the dish you should go for.
What is Thai fried rice?
Khao phat, also known as Thai-style fried rice, is a dish that is commonly found in central Thai cuisine. You may get a sense of how this hearty food is prepared by looking at the Thai words khao, which means “rice,” and phat, which means “that can be stir-fried.” In most cases, beef, eggs, onions, garlic, and occasionally tomatoes are used in the recipe. In addition to that, chilli sauce, fish sauce, nam pla, or sugar, salt, and soy sauce. In addition to this, the Khao phat is garnished with sprigs of green onion and coriander, as well as slices of cucumber and tomato. In addition to prik nam pla, a spicy sauce that is prepared by combining minced garlic, fish sauce, and chili.
What variant of rice is used to prepare it?
Jasmine rice is the type of rice that is called for in the recipe for Thai fried rice. The use of rice with a long grain is essential to ensure a successful outcome. First and foremost, because the grains are longer, they are better able to withstand heat and maintain their shape when fried.
Since the days of the Kingdom of Siam, jasmine rice has been grown in the mountains of northern Thailand. This tradition dates back to the period when Thailand was still a part of the Siamese empire. Because it possesses a unique perfume that is evocative of the jasmine flower, it got its name from that similarity. It is a type of rice that does not stay together, but since it is so starchy, it needs to be drained before it can be cooked. In addition, the flavour is sometimes described as being similar to that of almonds or popcorn.
What else is in Thai fried rice?
- Meat / fish: In point of fact, given that it’s made from leftovers, you may use any sort of meat you choose. Although chicken or hog meat is typically used in its preparation, occasionally beef is also used. On the other hand, it can also be prepared with shrimp, fish, or crab flesh.
- Eggs: The addition of scrambled eggs lends a velvety texture to Thai fried rice. First, remove the rice mixture from the pan and construct a circle in the middle of the dish where you will scramble the eggs. After that, the scrambled eggs are incorporated into the remaining rice that was prepared earlier.
- Vegetables: In most cases, vegetables such as spring onions, scallions, bell peppers, peas, carrots, maize, and virtually any other kind of vegetable are utilised.
- Spices: In Thai fried rice, the only species that should be used are onions, cloves, and garlic, or just one basic basil leaf.
- Fish sauce or nam pla: This is the main ingredient in Thai fried rice. First and foremost, since this sauce is the only one that strikes the ideal equilibrium between the flavours of sweetness, saltiness, sourness, and heat. Something that, on the other hand, is par for the course in the culinary tradition of Thailand.
What is used to cook it?
It’s important to use the right pan while cooking Thai fried rice, in addition to using the right kind of rice. In point of fact, it is recommended that you make use of a wok since it is really deep and can rapidly heat up even when more components are added. This is very helpful when dealing with high heat, which is one of the most important considerations in making fried rice in the Thai way. In addition to this, the wok enables you to subject food to extremely high temperatures without it becoming charred. In the meantime, it maintains its flavour and scent in its natural state. In addition, because of the way that it is shaped, there will be no rice or vegetable fragments that fall out of the sides.
How do you prepare Thai fried rice?
The amount of time necessary to prepare Thai fried rice is proportional to both whether or not the rice has previously been cooked and the ingredients that are added to it. Put four hundred grams of jasmine rice into a half liter of cold water, and then bring the mixture to a boil for ten minutes. This is the standard method for cooking rice. After that, it is put to the side and allowed to cool down. After that, the remaining components of the dish are cooked in the sautéing step, the rice is included, and the dish receives its finishing touches. This final step should not take longer than a quarter of an hour.
Some variants of Thai fried rice
Depending on what it is made with, Thai-style fried rice shows different variants. Here are some of the most popular:
- Khao phat kai or Thai fried rice with chicken: It is one of the most often chosen solutions in Thailand as well as the rest of the world. First and foremost, since the combination of the chicken with the basil, lime juice, and lime zest produces a meal that is both very refreshing and quite tasty.
- Khao phat kung, or Thai fried rice with prawns: Another version that works quite well is presented here. In this preparation, the prawns are fried with garlic and onion over a high heat, and then they are combined with eggs and peas.
- Khao phat mu or Thai fried rice with pork: Fried rice with bacon, also known as khao phat kak mu, is quite popular. And another popular dish is called khao phat naem, which is a form of fried rice made with a pig that has been allowed to ferment.
- Khao pad sapparot or Thai pineapple fried rice: The jasmine rice is stir-fried with pieces of pineapple, cashews, peas, and curry sauce in this particular preparation.
- Khao phat amerikan or American-style Thai fried rice: During the time that they were fighting in Vietnam, United States Marines were given this particular meal to eat. On the other hand, it has recently gained a lot of attention in Thailand. It consists of a hot dog, fried chicken, and scrambled eggs, all of which are doused in ketchup before being served.
You should have a better idea of what Thai fried rice tastes like after reading this. And that, in addition to the rice as the foundation, a wide variety of components are added. In point of fact, even variants are appropriate for vegans. Additionally, if jasmine rice and fish sauce are utilised, complete and total success will be attained. You might give it a shot at one of the restaurants serving Thai cuisine that are located in your region. Alternatively, why not make a vacation to Thailand and indulge in this mouthwatering dish while you’re there? In addition to this, due to its high level of popularity, you may get it in restaurants or at stalls located on the street.
- My Caffeinated Journey: The Top 8 Best Coffee Shops in Bangkok - September 11, 2023
- My Encounter with Thailand’s Black and White Striped Snakes - September 2, 2023
- The Koh Samui Island Tour - July 24, 2023