After a busy day and night in Bangkok, spending a few days on the beach in Phuket will be nice. On the other hand, if you miss the party in time, you can always find another one at this location, which is the biggest island in Thailand and is situated to the southwest of Bangkok. In addition to that, it is considered to be one of the most significant and well-known tourist centres in this nation.
Do you need instructions on how to reach the destination from Bangkok? Continue reading this article, as it will provide you with all the relevant information you will need to select the mode of transportation most suitable for your requirements.
How to go from Bangkok to Phuket?
In addition to its paradise-like beaches, Phuket has a lot of other things to see and do, such as temples or large monuments with a lot of history and spirituality, as well as a wide range of restaurants and hotels for all budgets. Despite the fact that Phuket is an island, it is nevertheless accessible by land because of the Sarasin Bridge, which links the island to the mainland on which it is situated. The journey across the skinny channel that divides the island from the mainland in Phang Nga is over in a flash, thanks to the port’s convenient location. This enables you to go there using a variety of modes of transportation in addition to flying, such as a vehicle or a bus, for example.
Transport to go from Bangkok to Phuket:
- Plane – It is the fastest and most comfortable way to get to Phuket from Bangkok.
- Rental Car – If you like to drive for long hours on the highway, this is an option.
- Bus – This option is cheaper than flying, and you won’t have to worry about driving.
- Train + Bus – It is not possible to go directly to Phuket by rail; instead, you will need to take a train from Bangkok to Surat Thani and then a bus to Phuket.
How to go to Phuket by plane
This is a very easy way to get from Bangkok to Phuket because there are more than 50 flights a day with different times and amenities. This route is one of the most popular in the country, both for tourists and for Thai people going south, so many different airlines fly it. Because you have so many choices, you can find a good deal on your plane ticket. One thing that affects the price of a flight is which airport in Bangkok you leave from. Most flights are cheaper when they leave from Don Mueang airport. You will land at Phuket International Airport, which is on the north of the island, when you get to Phuket.
- Distance: Approximately 670 kilometers in a straight line.
- Duration: 1 hour and 25 minutes.
- Price: Direct flights from 350 to 2000 bahts.
- Departure area: Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport or Don Mueang Airport.
How to go to Phuket by rental car
The trip is really long, so if you only have a few vacation days, there are better choices. Also, this method is only good for people who like to drive on the highway, since it can be a little tiring. The good thing about it is that you can stop along the way to take pictures of landscapes that catch your eye or to grab a bite to eat. You can also stop at hotels at night and learn about new places. If you choose this option, you should bring a map or GPS to avoid getting lost.
- Distance: 840.7 kilometers along Highway 4.
- Duration: 11 hours and 30 minutes approximately.
- Price: Not determined.
- Starting area: Not determined.
How to go to Phuket by bus
Even though the trip is very long, you won’t have to drive, so you can relax and enjoy the scenery. It’s not the best choice if you don’t have much time and want to get to all the places you want to see as quickly as possible. The best thing about it is that it costs less than flying. The public buses of BKS are the most reliable. If you want to pay a little more, you can travel with one of the private bus companies, but we recommend you book your seat ahead of time.
- Distance: 840.7 kilometers along highway 4.
- Duration: Between 13 and 16 hours.
- Price: From 650 to 1000 baht.
- Departure area: Bangkok South Terminal (Sai Tai Mai).
How to go to Phuket by train + bus
Using this method, you can get from Bangkok to Phuket by taking a train to Surat Thani and then a bus to Phuket. You can choose between the sections for the first and second classes. Most of the time, the price of the ticket includes both the train and the bus. We don’t recommend this choice because the price is usually higher than if you take a direct bus to Phuket, and you don’t save any time.
- Distance: Approximately 650 kilometers by train and 350 kilometers by bus.
- Duration: About 8 hours by train and 5 – 6 hours by bus.
- Price: From 900 to 1100 bahts for second class and between 1500 and 1800 bahts for first class.
- Departure area: Bangkok Hua Lamphong Train Station.
- My Caffeinated Journey: The Top 8 Best Coffee Shops in Bangkok - September 11, 2023
- My Encounter with Thailand’s Black and White Striped Snakes - September 2, 2023
- The Koh Samui Island Tour - July 24, 2023